Position: Two-Generation Coordinator (Inaugural Role)
The state's first ever Two-Generation Coordinator position will be work from the vantage point of the SC Early Childhood Advisory Council to serve as the state's lead for cross-agency, system-wide adoption of policies, programs and approaches that benefit whole families, specifically young children and the adults in their lives.
Created by the SC General Assembly in 1999, South Carolina First Steps to School Readiness is the state’s comprehensive early childhood education agency and a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization. SC First Steps (SCFS) takes a holistic approach to accomplishing our mission of preparing all kids for success in school, work and life, offering services that improve children’s health, strengthen families, expand access to quality child care, increase participation in four-year-old kindergarten (4K) programs and help transition rising kindergartners into school. Through a network of 46 affiliates, called “local partnerships,” SCFS reaches children 0-5 and their families in every county of the state. With funding from the state, annually, SCFS provides over 2200 four-year-olds with access to Pre-K 4 across 64 school districts. SCFS is a public-private partnership with the ability to leverage state, federal and private funds to accomplish our state-wide mission. In addition to developing, funding and supporting programs and initiatives statewide, South Carolina First Steps also operates as a connector and convener serving as the Early Childhood Advisory Council for the state of South Carolina. In this capacity, the work of First Steps includes integrating government and private systems to ensure all children begin school ready to success. The diverse workforce that makes up the 50+ member team at SCFS includes salaried and hourly positions and is governed by a State Board of Trustees. Our office is in downtown Columbia, SC. As SCFS is a state-wide organization, some positions are remote, and some require travel.
Team: Early Childhood Advisory Council
The SC Early Childhood Advisory Council is a collaborative body representing the state’s early childhood system. Established in state statute, the Early Childhood Advisory Council includes the directors of state agencies, elected officials, state-level early childhood leaders, members of the business and medical communities, parents, and early childhood educators. The Early Childhood Advisory Council is housed within South Carolina First Steps, the state’s dedicated early childhood agency. The Early Childhood Advisory Council works together to ensure that South Carolina’s children arrive at school ready to reach their highest potential, that the state’s youngest children are healthy and safe, and that they are actively supported by their families and communities. The Two-Generation Coordinator is a new position in South Carolina state government funded by a federal Preschool Development Grant: Birth – Five.
The Two-Generation Coordinator, working from the vantage point of the SC Early Childhood Advisory Council, serves as South Carolina's lead for cross-agency, system-wide adoption of policies, programs and approaches that benefit whole families, specifically young children and the adults in their lives. The Two-Gen Coordinator is responsible for establishing and supporting a Family Voice Council and developing feedback loops between families with young children and state government. The Two-Gen Coordinator is the project manager for First Five SC and Palmetto PreK. This role is embedded within SC First Steps, which facilitates the Early Childhood Advisory Council. This is a multi-year, temporary grant-funded position that may be extended based on funding. The position will report to the Early Childhood Advisory Council Program Manager and will be based in Columbia, SC.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Establish and support a Family Voice Council, representing South Carolina families impacted by public programs serving young children and their families
- Collaborating with the Strategic Impact team, co-lead client feedback efforts between communities and government including Listen4Good, family-centered focus groups and surveying, and community listening tours
- Develop and implement strategies that highlight the lived experiences of families with young children in South Carolina including policy briefs and other communications
- Serve as a liaison between the Early Childhood Advisory Council and public entities that impact young children and their families, intentionally lifting up client and family voice and the two-gen impact of policies and programs on families
- Develop and support opportunities for parents of young children to develop leadership skills and to serve on public boards and in other leadership capacities in their communities, including ensuring strong engagement of parents of young children on SC First Steps local and state boards and the SC Early Childhood Advisory Council board
Seamless Entry into Public Systems
- Serve as the project lead for First Five SC, South Carolina’s single portal and common application into publicly-funded programs and services that support young children and their families
- Serve as the project lead for Palmetto PreK, South Carolina’s single portal into publicly-funded Pre-K programsServe as the project lead for Palmetto PreK, South Carolina’s single portal into publicly-funded Pre-K programs.
Two-Generation State Leadership and Coordination
- Serve as a resource for South Carolina First Steps, the SC Early Childhood Advisory Council and the state on Two-Generation strategies, policies, and programs that improve the lives of children and families
- From the vantage point of the SC Early Childhood Advisory Council, coordinate statewide Two-Generation efforts, recognizing that the more coordinated and connected disparate actors and efforts are, the better the Two-Gen approach works
- Lead Two-Gen Affinity Group and collaborative work focused on Two-Gen, whole family system-building within the Preschool Development Grant structure
- Support agencies and public entities in identifying and responding to opportunities and challenges for applying a two-generation approach to their work
- Coordinate, monitor and ensure the success of two-gen efforts outlined in the SC First Steps strategic plan and the SC Early Childhood State Strategic Plan
- Support South Carolina First Steps in further integrating the two-generation approach into SC First Steps programs and strategies
- Research and report on effective two-generation strategies in other states and share promising or innovative two-gen practices from South Carolina with stakeholders and system leaders in other states and nationally. Participate in two-gen learning communities
- Support development and grant-making efforts focused on funding two-gen strategies
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field
- At least five years of relevant professional experience
- Experience managing projects at different stages of completeness, simultaneously
- Demonstrate cross-cultural competence and possess a commitment to equity
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Adept at technology including conceptualizing and articulating complex technical projects i.e. website and app development
- Self-starter, able to work independently
- Must be able to exercise good judgement and discretion, be a positive team-player, and dedicated to the mission of First Steps and the ECAC
- Possess a valid driver’s license, as some travel may be necessary
This position is eligible for a variety of benefits from a comprehensive health and dental insurance program and generous annual and sick leave policies, to a solid and secure retirement system. The State of South Carolina offers a competitive benefits program for state employees.
To apply, submit your cover letter and resume to Avian Jones at HR@scfirststeps.org